A small group of people who were concerned with the lack of care from the community for stray and unwanted pets began organizing.
The League for Animal Welfare is officially recognized by the state of Ohio as a non-profit charitable organization. Thirty-four charter members elect Gertrude Coles as the first president of the League.
The League purchases a former boarding kennel on Heitman Lane near Batavia.
Two small cat barns are installed at the League, so cats no longer have to share kennels with dogs. In subsequent years, additional larger cat barns were added.
League member Adele Caramanian persuades the League to have all of its cats and dogs spayed or neutered before adoption. The spay/neuter program was then expanded to include assistance for low-income members of the public.
Dr. Pat Thomas, a psychology professor at the University of Cincinnati and League Board President initiates our pet therapy program.
Elizabeth Lemlich forms the League’s Education Committee and visits up to 70 school classrooms annually, presenting programs on pets and wildlife, and organizing after-school animal clubs.
The League begins to look for a new location with a more modern facility.
The League moves its dogs, cats, and staff into a brand new shelter located on nine acres of land at 4193 Taylor Road in Batavia Township. Our new shelter was built through the generosity of our donors.
The League purchases 11 additional acres of wooded land to ensure protection from any possible residential development.
The League adopts 888 cats and dogs – the most in its history. The spay/neuter voucher program is expanded to include everyone in the community, regardless of income.
A significant gift from the Rettig Foundation allows the League to purchase a customized Mobile Adoption Van.
The spay/neuter voucher assistance program assists over 1200 cats and dogs in a single year – the most ever in League history.
The League celebrates its 65th anniversary.
A record number of cats and dogs – 1,170 – are adopted from the League.